Engraving & Personalization
Any metal buckle or tag is eligible for engraving.
Our buckles and tags are engraved with a diamond-tipped CNC machine, never a laser! Laser engraving is used by nearly all other collar companies - lasers are inexpensive but only burn the top surface coating of buckles. This etching often wears off the buckle in a short time. Our engraver physically removes metal and surface coating to provide a long-lasting, professional engraving.
While our engraving process is vastly superior to most "laser etched" products on the market, care should still be taken to protect your items, in particular aluminum buckles and tags. The easiest way to do this is to avoid hanging metal objects near your buckle/tag! Hanging tags, lights, and other gizmos that swing or rub against engraved buckles will inevitably cause premature wear and tear. Instead fasten these items at the adjustment slide or a mini tag ring so they cannot make contact with your buckle. Similarly, if you wash your engraved item, protect it by placing it inside a garment bag or a sock so it doesn't get beat up in the washer/dryer.
Engraving notes and recommendations
- Text is auto-sized to use the maximum amount of space. Lines with fewer characters will be larger. Lines with lots of characters will be smaller. We STRONGLY suggest keeping your lines of text short (20 characters or less per line).
- 3/8" buckles are not available in metal and therefore cannot be engraved.
- Small 5/8" or 3/4" buckles look best with just 2 or 3 lines.
- Large 1" buckles look best with 4 or less lines.
- Extra large 1.5" buckles look great with up to 8 short lines. These buckles are taller than they are wide, so multiple short lines fit much better than fewer long lines.
- 3/8” tags look best with 3 lines or less.
- 5/8" or 3/4" tags look best with just 4 lines or less.
- 1" tags look best with 5 lines or less.
- 1.5" tags look great with up to 8 lines.
- Thin, basic fonts work best with long lines of text or very small buckles and tags. Avoid choosing blocky, bold, or script fonts if you need a lot of information on your buckle or tag.
- Script fonts are not recommended on 5/8" buckles with more than 2 lines of text for legibility reasons.
- These are our professional recommendations - ultimately we will engrave what you type in the note box, so please be sure to CHECK YOUR SPELLING and avoid writing a novel :)
- There will be *no refunds or exchanges* on engraved items. All sales are final on personalized items. You may request up to 3 digital proofs for no extra charge. Please include a message in the note box at checkout, or send us an email when you place your order. Proofs will not be sent unless requested. Customer MUST approve the proof before we will proceed with the order. Proofs are not available on any Boomerang tags.
- We reserve the right to make small changes to your text for balance and legibility reasons. If we need to change anything drastically, we will send you a message first. Please be sure to check your email (and spam folder) for messages from us.
We engrave all our items in-house with the exception of stainless tags "by Boomerang". These are engraved in California and are only available in the color and font shown - no customization or proofs are available on items marked "by Boomerang".